The LM3909 is a monolithic oscillator specifically designed to flash Light Emitting Diodes. By using the timing capacitor for voltage boost, it delivers pulses of 2 or more volts to the LED while operating on a supply of 1.5V or less. The circuit is inherently self-starting, and requires addition of only a bat-
tery and capacitor to function as an LED flasher. Packaged in an 8-lead plastic mini-DIP, the LM3909 will op- erate over the extended consumer temperature range of -25C to +70C. It has been optimized for low power drain and operation from weak batteries so that continuous operation life exceeds that expected from battery rating.
Application is made simple by inclusion of internal timing resistors and an internal LED current limit resistor. As shown in the first two application circuits, the timing resistors supplied are optimized for nominal flashing rates and minimum power drain at 1.5V and 3V. Timing capacitors will generally be of the electrolytic type, and a small 3V rated part will be suitable for any LED flasher using a supply up to 6V. However, when picking flash rates, it should be remembered that some electrolytics have very broad capacitance tolerances, for example -20% to +100%.
- Operation over one year from one C size flashlight cell
- Bright, high current LED pulse
- Minimum external parts
- Low cost
- Low voltage operation, from just over 1V to 5V
- Low current drain, averages under 0.5 mA during battery life
- Powerful; as an oscillator directly drives an 8X speaker
- Wide temperature range
- Finding flashlights in the dark, or locating boat mooring floats
- Sales and advertising gimmicks
- Emergency locators, for instance on fire extinguishers
- Toys and novelties
- Electronic applications such as trigger and sawtooth generators
- Siren for toy fire engine, (combined oscillator, speaker driver)
- Warning indicators powered by 1.4V to 200V
*Image shown is a representation only.